Historic Havana and the "Glorious T"
Montour Falls, NY Historic District
Self-Guided Walking Tour
Montour Falls Village Hall, 330 W. Main Street(Gillispie and Coreyell, 1854)~;Formerly the County Courthouse, this two storyVillage Hall is the focal structure in thesymmetrical complex of Greek Revival publicbuildings situated on Main Street between Geneseeand Schuyler Streets. Constructed of brick,the structure is prostyle tetrastyle. Theoriginal door and sidelights, as well as Grecianstyled hanging lamps, all contribute to the facade.The most conspicious feature of the Village Hallis the octagonal wood frame cupola rising highabove the buildin
With its best examples at the Glorious T, the village streets of Montour Falls are lined with a pleasant mix of architectural styles, varying from the clean lines of the craftsman to the ornate designs of Greek Rival and Victorian. Where West Main Street meets Genesee Street, at the town's Glorious T, mid 19th century homes surround the 156 foot Shequaga Falls.
Placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1978, the Village of Montour Falls offers a self guided tour of their historic district.
Montour Falls Memorial Library, corner W. Main and Schuyler Streets (Gillispie and Coreyell, 1864) ; Like its counterpart, the former County Clerk's Office, the Library is an L-shaped brick structure built to resemble two one-story prostyle tetrastyle temples. A wide flight of stairs leads to each portico. When the structure was converted from a bank to a library ca. 1900 a bay window with Tiffany glass was erected
Viewed from afar, the most prominent feature near the Montour Falls Historic District is the tumbling waters of the Chequaga Falls. At the foot of the falls is a truly important collection of buildings. This distinctive district includes 24 mid and late nineteenth century structures. Genesee Street runs north and south through the district and is characterized by well-kept residences. Village offices, the public library and the M&M Club are located on Main Street. At the intersection of Genesee and Main Streets, stands an outstanding collection of buildings. Locally, this visual focus of the district is known as the "Glorious T". Certain of its elements warrant special discussion: Sheriff's Office, 112 N. Genesee Street (Gillispie and Coreyell, 1854): Originally the sheriff's office, residence and jail, this rectangular, gable roofed building is constructed of brick and stone. Grecian elements in the facade, such as the treatment of the doorway and the termination of the sidewalls in a brick entablature, are noteworthy. The artistic use of brick compliments the neighboring structures. Schuyler County Clerk's Office, corner W. Main and Genesee Streets (Gillispie and Coreyell, 1854): Presently used as a lawyer's office, this brick building is one of two basically identical structures which flank the former County Courthouse. L-shaped, this corner structure appears to be two rectangular, prostyle, tetrastyle temples set at right angles to each other. The columns of both porticos, like the rest of the structure, are constructed of brick.